6.07.2011

Wrap-Up

Here's a quick synopsis of what I've been up to all year. I'll try not to talk too much. 

Semester 1

Production weaving wool yardage. After weaving it, I take it off the loom, felt it in the washing machine, and cut it into scarves.

Hello, Toronto! The BMO 1st Art! competition completely changed my perspective on life, art, and my career. It was incredible. Returning from that wonderland was not. 


Semester 2


Having endured near ruination, I made a clean break from all toxic environments and influences. I decided to do the work I wanted to do, and thus, the Reverence Project (see the tab at the top of my blog!) began. 


It was amazing and exhausting and so very rewarding. And it's not finished! 


I spent a lot of time this year trying out a whole lot of things. I wanted to be involved in my community, in my practice, and I wanted to see just what I enjoyed doing. 


I worked on a project with a fellow artist. I started exorcising the demons of last semester, and I learned about effective communication with creative partners. 

I taught kid's workshops via Fredericton Arts & Learning. 

I got involved in my community as the chair of the Education Committee and a board member at Gallery Connexion. 

I illustrated Nonymous magazine. It's full of teeth. 

I made a whole new product line for the summer in the Barracks shops. 


I made a ton of paper. 



And I worked my arse off. I went into the program thinking I'd weave and build up a huge body of work for exhibition, but it didn't happen like that. 


I came out of it with a backbone and a loud voice, confidence in my creative vision, a body of work that'll take me a year to make, a solid career plan, and a deeper understanding of why I do what I do. If you want to hear more of this, you'll have to buy me a beer.   

1 comments:

Jackie said...

Sweet! I remember when you came back from Toronto and so didn't want to be where you were. But you stayed and stuck it out and look at you now!
Growing pain sometimes happen but you come out stronger and wiser in the end! And on to a shiny new future with a spring board to the rest of your life!
I am so proud of you Celine!

Post a Comment

 
 
All images and content are the sole intellectual property of C. Gorham and may not be used without her permission.

Photographs are taken by C. unless otherwise stated.