3.17.2011

You Speak With Such Reverence


A massive portion of this semester is dedicated to this project, You Speak With Such Reverence. I'm collecting stories from anyone (hey, you've got stories, right?) that deal with the marks love leaves on us, whether it be physical or emotional, positive or negative. 

I'm going to take these stories and shred hard copies of them and cast paper body parts that are marked or altered to fit within the context of selected stories. Portions of text will be transferred on to the parts, they'll be branded, cut, marked. There'll be an audio component. There'll be massive acrylic transfers on the walls with re-arranged stories.

I want to reach out and include the community in the art making process. It's not very often people get that chance, and for me, this kind of outreach and networking has opened so many doors and is a tremendous incentive to push my work further. Fredericton especially needs more visible art, more artists showing people how easy it is to support and connect with their local artists. I'm going to save the rest of this rant for another post :)

I partnered with a local bookstore, The Owl's Nest, to host a story collection event. Despite a great deal of promotion, it did not go as well as I expected, but I did get quite a few email submissions!

*This photo was taken by Ashley Theriault, a local photographess. 

In addition to photographing the event, Ashley hooked me up with a campus newspaper, the Aquinian, and a journalism student who's going to do her final report on my project!


A nice big stack of stories to work with. I'll be accepting submissions until May, and you can send them to: reverence.celine@gmail.com


Your confidentiality will be given the utmost care. 

1 comments:

craig anthony schneider said...

I love the personal-community-love and appreciation-celebration concept of this project. I hope you got a good response from it.
great idea and so welcome-to-my-world kind of action
C.

Post a Comment

 
 
All images and content are the sole intellectual property of C. Gorham and may not be used without her permission.

Photographs are taken by C. unless otherwise stated.