1.12.2012

First Studio Day of the Year

I was in the studio by 9:30am and up to my elbows in plant matter and water shortly after! My goals: sample eucalyptus and kamala, spend time developing things for sale, work on embroidery project, and log a 10 hour day. 

The eucalyptus branches I was given were from the Royal Botanical Gardens here in Burlington/Hamilton. I shredded them (and forgot to set aside whole leaves for hot bundling), simmered them, and added some silk and wool. Ground dried fruits from the kamala tree (or lotus tree) were also given to me by a wonderful guild member. I added the powder to water and salt in a jar, and heated it with wool, silk, cotton, and St. Armand watercolour paper. 


The pot on the left is eucalyptus without a mordant, and the jar contains kamala. The other pot has a mixture of eucalyptus, vinegar, iron, and fibre. Amazing, eh? The unmordanted mixture gave lovely soft champagne and pale brown on silk and wool respectively, but the altered bath (and here I must give credit to India Flint for suggesting vinegar) gave perfect greys, or black had the concentration of dyestuff been higher. 

Kamala, though difficult to soak out with water, gives bright saffron yellow on silk, a slightly murky yellow on wool, and pale buttery yellow on the cotton and paper. I'll take pictures of the samples the next time I'm in the studio!

I'd like to visit the RBG and ask for eucalyptus cuttings, or frequent the florist downtown. It would be such a neat project to go through the botanical gardens and sample their plants...

unidentified eucalyptus

Teasels given to me by a guild member. They're sharp!

Moving along, I tried eco-printing fallen bourganvillea bracts on St. Armand paper, and it worked wonderfully. Possible product line...


I didn't manage 10 hours, but a solid 9-hour studio day is felt pretty good. I spoke with the clay studio technician and she's still on board with my project, so pretty much all I have to do is acquire more materials and dyestuff before I can move forward. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
All images and content are the sole intellectual property of C. Gorham and may not be used without her permission.

Photographs are taken by C. unless otherwise stated.