5.19.2011

Time Lapse

The past two weeks have been one hell of a trip, let me tell you! I returned last night from a five day trip to New York City! Well, two days were spent traveling, but those in-between night and morning hours count, right? 


Hanging out at the Met. No big deal.

Obviously the week leading up to that was crazy and I didn't have time to blog at all. I had to work my arse off to get a week ahead of schedule with classwork and stuff for the summer shop, and I still didn't get time to actually work on my grad piece. 

We'll talk about that later though. This post, and probably the next one too, is just about what I did and saw in Manhattan.



We left this city at 5 freaking am last Saturday, and arrived in the CITY around 6 or 7pm. I had to turn my phone off and didn't have a watch, so I never really knew what time it was. The mist didn't help either. 

I went to the Museum of Natural History (among other places) on Sunday, and well... here are a few photos. I can't give it a more glowing review. We spent about six hours in there. Apologies for the poor photo quality, it's hard to shoot through glass.

 Backstrap loom in the African Peoples exhibition. Whee!

 Crazy knotted rope costume. There's a female counterpart to this one jumping just off to the left of the camera. Whee!

I almost cried when I got to the South American cultures room. The Maya/Aztec/Olmec installation BLEW MY MIND. I'm a bit of a nerd about their history, and seeing the stele and funerary urns and all of those other amazing things brought tears to my eyes on more than one occasion. 

I had to find a bathroom real bad, but I snapped a quick picture of this painted boat. The whale's beautiful, and at the opposite end there's a porpoise and a carved mask too! 

 And finally, more dinos. Aquatic dinosaurs, to be specific. It's one thing to see pictures of these things, but to be right beside one and to realize you could curl up comfortably in their pelvis, that is something altogether different. 

Visiting the Natural History Museum (and a flea market, an amazing Lebanese restaurant, Central Park, the subways, and a liquor store) was just what I needed: seeing unusual shapes and colours and textures and visiting unfamiliar places kind of resets your mind and refreshes your sense of self. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
All images and content are the sole intellectual property of C. Gorham and may not be used without her permission.

Photographs are taken by C. unless otherwise stated.