4.05.2011

High Speed Glue Fights

My apologies for the lack of posting this past week. Maintaining a busy life means some little things get dropped from time to time. But, like a dryer catching lint and loose coins, these little responsibilities accumulate and when the dryer stops, they are scooped up and taken care of. 



The past three weeks have been made especially busy with a second job. Part-time workshops for children through Fredericton Arts and Learning! I went to the local Boys and Girls Clubs every Wednesday for a couple of hours and had a ball brainstorming, writing stories, and making little books. Needless to say my ideas needed to be pared down and streamlined so the kids could keep up (at one point my assistant, my oldest, most cherished friend, looked at me and said something like "I'm going to go crazy if you don't have a stapler in your bag"), and I learned more about handling diverse groups of children in those few hours than I ever could have expected to. 


Words of Caution: bring three times as much paste as you think you'll need, and take the brushes from the children immediately after they finish with them or a paste fight/embalming will ensue. Coincidentally, my father went to one of the Clubs when he was a boy and fully admits to being a hooligan not unlike those I dealt with during my teaching. 

It was only part time work though, and I'm happy it's over. I had to miss three weeks of a course to do it, and I'm itching to get back in the group. Fredericton Arts and Learning is hosting a series of professional development workshops for the artists who work for them (ie. ME!), and the first one's tonight: CARFAC and legal representation. It should be informative. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment

 
 
All images and content are the sole intellectual property of C. Gorham and may not be used without her permission.

Photographs are taken by C. unless otherwise stated.